Friday 20 June 2014

Jane: The Charming Sicilians


"What do you remember most about Sicily?" I asked a friend before leaving for the island in May, "The wild flowers", came the reply.  It's true.  In May, Sicily is covered in wild flowers but what I will remember most are the Sicilian people.

Monreale Cathedral

Temple at Selinunute

Flower Festival at Noto
They could not have been more charming.  The tourist is the honoured guest.  I spent ten days in Sicily from 13 to 22 May, travelling almost all the way round it with a friend by car.   Take the time when we walked into a non-descript eaterie and received VIP treatment.  The chef spent time explaining all his pastas and personally selected our two meals.  Once consumed, a coffee and two cakes appeared "courtesy of the house". 
View from Taormina

A few days later, we found ourselves unable to find our B&B which was located in a road in the middle of a town closed off to traffic.  I asked the driver of another car for directions, he told me to get back into my car and follow him in his car (with his family).    We drove around town until we arrived at our road.  In Modica, we walked into a spanking new pizzeria.  On sitting down, a young Sicilian couple sitting in the corner (there were no other punters) said in English "The pizzas here are delicious."  They were from Modica but working in Dublin.  They wanted us to enjoy our meal.  I asked the waiter if a bottle of wine that was on display could be served by the glass.  He said not but two minutes later, having returned to the bar, he said they would after all serve it by the glass.  These little kind gestures happened all the time in Sicily.  When I came home to my hamlet, I commented to my French neighbour how I found it hard to believe that the Sicilians are known to be in the Mafia.  "The Mafia are very charming people", came the reply!

No comments:

Post a Comment