Saturday 10 May 2014

Katharine: These were Mother's photo essay (NY Times)


Op-Art

Mom Genes

  • Jane Wells, 55
    I STILL WEAR IT; it’s perfect for a certain winter day. I think it’s early ’60s. When my mother died I wanted her clothes. My sister thought it was creepy, so I took loads of them. I’d just had a baby, and so I enveloped myself in her clothes because they had her smell and her energy. I now love seeing my daughters wear them. When my father died we discovered he’d had a secret Swiss bank account. In England in the ’50s and ’60s there were a lot of austerity measures, but my mother continued to be a complete fashion maven and had the most exquisite designer pieces. When we looked at the check stubs we saw that the checks had all been made out to Bergdorf Goodman. He’d used his Swiss bank account purely to finance my mother’s clothing habit. Jane Wells, 55
  • Audrey Gelman, 26
    AS A HIGH SCHOOL student, I used to go to the Hungarian Pastry Shop at 111th Street near Columbia University and sit among college and graduate students while wearing my mom’s college sweatshirt. It was like the equivalent of wearing your mother’s too-big heels, but dressing up in the costume of an older intellectual. I wear it now on weekends when I’m getting coffee and going grocery shopping for the week. Audrey Gelman, 26
  • Carlyn Schlechter, 39
    I PLAY TENNIS in this skirt all summer long. My mother wore it before she had me and after she had me, and she’d play in it. She loves tennis, and I love tennis because of her. She got me into it. I was forced to take many lessons and I didn’t appreciate them at the time but now we can play together, occasionally. We don’t enough. I still have this vision of my mom in the skirt — tennis was part of her social scene, she played with a bunch of her girlfriends from our community and schools and temples and there was a group at the country club. I enjoyed seeing her be so athletic. Carlyn Schlechter, 39
  • Sheila O’Shea, 38
    IT’S A LATE ’60S BAG. She gave it to me when I was about 22. If I consider buying another black bag I compare it with this one and realize I don’t need one. She was careful about her things, so they are in good condition. Besides the fact that she was a deeply stylish person, she was a single mother and didn’t care for the conformity of Boston. We would go to preppy stores, and I’d ask her: “Don’t you want these espadrilles? Don’t you want a belt with whales on it?” because I’d see them on other mothers. She just told me, “I will never dress like that.” Sheila O’Shea, 38
  • Louise McCagg, 77
    MY MOTHER, DOROTHY Duncan, was given the kilt by her grandmother. It is a “Duncan Ancient” tartan. I think it was made by a kilt maker in Perth, Scotland. My mother was very proud of her Duncan heritage, though she didn’t talk about it much. She gave me the kilt around 1988, and I had it made into a jacket three years ago. Kilts are not my style so I changed it so I would use it more often. I think of my mother when I wear it. Louise McCagg, 77
  • Brooke Williams, 48
    I THINK I GOT to have it once she’d worn it enough times that she was going to be busted showing up in it someplace else. I was in my early 20s. My mother knew I loved it. Our dressing style is really different in all ways except formally. Stylistically, where we bonded was her party clothes. This was the only dress I wound up with, mostly because she’s so unsentimental about stuff. It’s more an attitude I inherited from her. My daughter hasn’t seen the dress yet. It’s right up her alley. Brooke Williams, 48
  • Gaby Basora, 42
    THIS IS A LITTLE TOP of my mom’s. It’s so magnificent. My mom and dad lived in Israel where my dad was studying marine biology, and this shirt was my mom’s. I was conceived in Israel, and so my mom wore this at the beginning of her pregnancy with me, and then she gave it to me. It’s hand-crocheted. It’s gorgeous. She bought it in Jerusalem somewhere. I still wear it all the time, you know, with high-waisted jeans. Gaby Basora, 42
  • Mary Mann, 29
    OUR FAMILY MOVED to Indiana when I was 7, but before that my mom had only ever lived in the South, so cold weather seemed really alien and dangerous to her, especially as the mother of young kids. She used to dress us in full snowsuits just to go to the grocery store. My parents recently moved to Florida, and now every time my mom visits me in New York she brings one of her winter hats to accidentally leave at my apartment. She does this regardless of the season. Mary Mann, 29
  • Pavia Rosati, 43
    I HAVE A PHOTO of my mother wearing this coat, and she’s mugging for the camera wearing dark glasses and it’s so unlike any pose I’ve ever seen her in. Impish. Badass. In all other photos she’s posing like a nice classic Italian lady. It was handmade for her by her seamstress, who’d go up to Paris twice a year to buy fabric and see what was new and then go back to Padua, where she’d make these clothes for my mother. I wear it with jeans, which would either delight or horrify her. Pavia Rosati, 43

No comments:

Post a Comment